Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Incredible moment shopkeeper disarmed gunman and customer held him down until police arrived



Faced with a gunman pointing a pistol at their head and threatening to shoot, most people would be inclined to do what he said.
Not Rasaratnam Rahulan. The shopkeeper challenged John Buckley to carry out his threat and, when the robber turned his back, he grabbed the gun.
A customer then rugby-tackled the gunman, pinning him down with Mr Rahulan until police arrived.
Armed: Robber John Buckley points the gun at shopkeeper Rasaratnam Rahulan
Armed: Robber John Buckley points the gun at shopkeeper Rasaratnam Rahulan at his store in Sunderland and demands cash from the till
Brave: Mr Rahulan snatches the gun from Buckley's hand
Brave: Mr Rahulan snatches the gun from Buckley's hand. 'I don't know what made me do it,' said Mr Rahulan
Rasaratnam Rahulan kept his cool during the attack
Mr Rahulan kept his cool during the attack
Dramatic CCTV images released yesterday show the bravery and calmness of Mr Rahulan and customer Kevin Bayliss when Buckley, 32, raided the News 2000 general store in Sunderland on August 5 armed with what it later turned out was a replica pistol.
With his hands concealed in the pockets of his hoodie he approaches the counter and demands that Mr Rahulan, 33, the store manager, hands over the cash from the till.
Buckley pulls out the weapon and screams: ‘I’ve got a gun.’ Mr Rahulan replies: ‘I’m not bothered. I will call the police.’
Buckley: ‘If you phone the police I’ll blow your ****ing head clean off. Put your hands on the counter, mate.’ Mr Rahulan: ‘Na.’
Buckley: ‘Do you think I’m ****ing joking, mate?’ Mr Rahulan replies: ‘Shoot me, shoot me.’
Buckley makes a racist comment before adding: ‘Put your hand on the counter.’ Mr Rahulan: ‘Na.’ Buckley (still holding the gun): ‘Well I’m off. See you later kids. All the best.’
At this point Buckley briefly turns his back and Mr Rahulan sees his chance to grab the gun.
Mr Bayliss, 43, a former soldier, rugby-tackles Buckley to the ground and Mr Rahulan calls the police before helping to detain Buckley.
Last night Mr Rahulan, who has a chemical engineering degree, said he was terrified at first but then decided he had to get the gun from Buckley.
Courageous: A brave customer rushes over to help
Courageous: A brave customer rushes over to help. Mr Rahulan said: 'I didn't know he was going to support me.'
Wrestle: He grabs hold of the robber
Wrestle: The customer grabs hold of the robber. 'He used to be in the Army, so he knew what to do,' said Mr Rahulan. 'I bought him a bottle of nice vodka to say thank you.'
Strong: The customer wrestles Buckley to the ground and holds him there until police arrive
Strong: The customer wrestles Buckley to the ground and holds him there until police arrive. His barrister said the offence was committed against a background of alcohol abuse and suicide attempts
‘I didn’t know that it wasn’t a real gun until the police came,’ he said. ‘I don’t know what made me do it. I was talking to him for a couple of minutes then I just decided to grab the gun.
‘I thought if he was going to shoot me, he would have done it by then.’
Mr Bayliss, 43, of Pontardawe, South Wales, was visiting relatives in Sunderland when he popped into the shop to use a cash machine.
The father of three, who served in the Royal Military Police, said: ‘I didn’t know it wasn’t a real gun, but that seemed immaterial at the time.
‘He could have had a gun or a knife or a friend waiting in the shop but my instincts took over and I just knew I needed to control the situation so no one got hurt.’
At Newcastle Crown Court, Buckley, of no fixed address, admitted attempted robbery and having an imitation firearm. The court heard he has a drink problem and has attempted suicide.
Judge Brian Forster adjourned the case until November 23 for a pre-sentence report. He remanded Buckley in custody and warned him he must expect a jail sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment