Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It was a Little Girl Who Encouraged Candidate Lincoln to Grow the Beard

Collier's Magazine, 1948

 An article from a 1948 COLLIER'S MAGAZINE that reported on the origin of Abraham Lincoln's famous beard.

"When an eleven year-old girl advised Abraham Lincoln to grow some whiskers, the great man humbly took her suggestion to heart":
"I am a little girl only 11 years old, but want you should be President of the United States very much so I hope you wont think me very bold to write to such a great man as you are. Have you any little girls about as large as I am if so give them my love and tell her to write to me if you cannot answer this letter. I have got 4 brothers and part of them will vote for you any way and if you let your whiskers grow I will try and get the rest of them to vote for you you would look a great deal better for your face is so thin. All the ladies like whiskers and they would tease their husbands to vote for you and then you would be President."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment